Microsoft’s Bing-powered searches now accounts for 29% in the United States.
Bing-powered search increased in August according to the latest stats from Experian Hitwise. 29% of all U.S. searches conducted in the four weeks ending August 27, 2011 were powered by Bing. Yahoo search made up 15.89% of searches and Bing by itself 13.10%, combined they make up 29%. In the same time frame, Google accounted for 65% of all U.S. searches.
The most recent comScore figures, released in August, paint a similar picture. comScore says that Bing held on to 14.4% of U.S. market share during July. Microsoft’s Bing search engine appears to be holding its significant gains of recent months. Bing reached an all time high of 11.8% market share in November but has improved upon the figure between December and July. Microsoft’s Bing search volume increased by 29% during 2010 according to comScore. ComScore says the U.S. search market rose by 12% last year.
The outlook looks good for Bing too. Microsoft announced a renewed Bing search deal with Twitter on Tuesday. The deal will see Twitter continue to share its tweets with Bing search results.. Bing uses Twitter data for its real time search queries, something that Google had to temporarily disable after failing to establish a new agreement with Twitter. Microsoft is also preparing to unveil a new Bing web app for Windows 8. The web app will include a tile based version of Bing with touch friendly navigation. The software maker is expected to make the web app available with copies of the Windows 8 Developer Preview.