Microsoft continues to investigate the issues some Samsung Windows Phone 7 users are experiencing but WinRumors has an unofficial fix that will get you up and running until Microsoft can address the problems fully.
Numerous WinRumors readers have written in to confirm that their Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone devices are now working correctly after reflashing the default stock Samsung ROM. The fix should only be applied if you have had troubles with the update and your device has been left in an unusable state not fixable by other means. Microsoft’s official stance is to return these “bricked” devices to carriers or stores but if that’s not an option for you then you can try this fix with CAUTION. Be warned the process is risky and could void your warranty. The fix is ONLY for Samsung Omnia 7 devices so please don’t blame us if this nukes your device fully, steals all your cookies or kills your pet hamster:
- Check if the phone is capable of getting into the ‘download mode’. To do this: Turn off the phone (or remove > replace battery), then turn it back on by pressing the power/camera/VolumeUP buttons simultaneously. When the phone turns on, release the power button. If the phone shows the yellow triangle with exclamation and a “download mode” message, your phone is capable of getting into the ‘download mode’, and you can proceed to step 2.
- Download the following files (be warned: multiupload.com is loaded with huge ad’s/pop-ups)
- Unrar / install downloaded files (rar-file password: samfirmware.com)
- Make sure the phone is disconnected from computer and turned off
- Reboot computer for the drivers to complete install.
- Start Samsung WP7 Flash Program.
- Turn on the phone in ‘download mode’ and then connect it to the computer
- Drag the 4 files from the unpacked firmware rar-file to the Samsung WP7 Flash Program dialog screen. The application will place each file in the correct field.
- When the phone is recognized you can use the ‘Start’ button to start the flashing process.DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS!
- When the flashing is done (aprox. 15min.) the phone will automatically reboot and show the welcome screen.
- Firmware I8700XXJK1 ## 2010 November CSC_Cetus_Europe_I8700XENJK1: http://www.multiupload.com/OGUYF4F3VA (rar-file password: samfirmware.com)
- Samsung WP7 Flash Program: http://www.multiupload.com/3OE4SYAGQA
- Samsung Mobile USB Drivers V5.2: http://www.multiupload.com/GH391NDSY1
- Flash Guide (English): http://www.multiupload.com/FDRJ3WDZQ7
Note: For more information about flashing the firmware to your Omnia 7 see the the flash guide you downloaded as well