Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9 launch partners fired up their websites on Monday ahead of the public release of Internet Explorer 9 later today.
Microsoft has partnered with a variety of sites including UK National Rail, ESPN, BMW and Sky News. The sites are specially designed for Internet Explorer 9 users and take advantage of HTML5 in most cases. National Rail’s site offers a simple and animated way to check UK train times. Sky News’ site provides an animated 3D carousel of the world’s latest news. Microsoft’s launch partners demonstrate exactly what can be achieved with hardware accelerated browsing and HTML5.
Microsoft’s fast pace Internet Explorer 9 development has seen a number of changes from the beta version to RTW:
- Tabs will now be able to be placed in a separate row, providing more space for opened tabs
- Less important notifications will now be automatically dismissed, emphasizing higher priority notifications and ensuring the browser doesn’t get in the way
- Pinned sites will now be able to include more than one homepage, enabling you to click one pinned site on your taskbar and opening multiple sites at a time
- Customers will now be able to pin sites to their taskbar wherever it’s positioned and developers can implement drag-to-pin support right on their pages
- Tracking Protection and Tracking Protection Lists are now enabled
- ActiveX Filtering to block ActiveX across your sites, turning them back on for sites you trust
- InPrivate browsing is now supported on pinned sites to allow greater privacy right from your taskbar
- Microsoft has also added CSS2D Transforms, HTML5 Semantic Tag, Geolocation and WebM support to IE9, in the spirit of same markup and interoperability
Microsoft will launch Internet Explorer 9 at the South by southwest (SXSW) music and film festival in Austin, Texas later today. The final will be available to download at 9PM PST (see other time zones). Microsoft is also holding a press event at 5:30PM PST (see other time zones) which will be streamed live here.
Here’s the full list of partner sites, more to be added as they become available:
- ESPN – http://www.espncricinfo.com
- MSN - http://cars.uk.msn.com/motorshows/geneva-motor-show-2011/genevazoom.aspx
- NEVER MIND THE BULLETS – www.nevermindthebullets.com
- BMW – www.joydefinesthefuture.com/
- GORILLAZ – http://gorillaz.com/club-room
- ROUGH GUIDES -http://makethemost.roughguides.com/
- SKY – http://interactive.news.sky.com/ie9/concept/
- NATIONAL RAIL – http://ie9.nationalrail.co.uk/
- FILM 4 OD – http://film4od.film4.com/