Microsoft has reportedly locked down a number of Milestone 3 builds.
The company is preparing to release a Windows 8 Developer Preview at its BUILD conference next month and is reportedly taking steps to prevent leaks. Details of build 8064 emerged earlier this week but workers at Intel are reporting the following changes:
“IntelDistrib would like to announce the immediate availability of Windows 8 x86 Client Build 8039 for testing at Intel.
There are two changes to the EEAP builds starting with this EEAP that you should be aware of:
- All OS installations using these builds will now require the unique key for the Windows Developer Preview. Installation with previous generic keys will no longer be supported. PRODKEY.TXT files containing generic keys will no longer be included in the build packages. You will have to get the New Product Key provided on the product site. This is a special key as part of the partnership Intel has with Microsoft.
- The name of the EEAP builds in this package contain “FBL_EEAP” instead of “WINMAIN”. This change is a name change only, and will not affect your ability to download or use these builds in your testing.”
The introduction of unique product keys will assist Microsoft with any potential leaks but the lock down goes deeper. Posters at the My Digital Life forum have revealed that Microsoft is preventing typical DLL hacks that allow builds to unlock hidden features. The steps have likely been implemented to combat any further leaks of Windows 8 details before BUILD. One poster has revealed the following unofficial change list for build 8064:
- A new wallpaper (5th generation)
- A new BSOD (2nd generation) (back to blue with a smiley : ( )
- A new bootscreen (2nd generation) (betta fish is gone)
- A new installprep and WinPE look. (5th generation)
- Internet Explorer 10 Developer Preview (pre release version) (with Internet Explorer 10 splashscreen)
- A new colored “Windows” splashscreen during installprep loading file.
- Immersive Remote Desktop (old)
- Immersive Control Panel (old)
- WinStore (old)
- Windows 7 wallpaper deleted
- New WiFi/Ethernet icons (old)
- New Touch Keyboard icon
- New genuine center (old)
- Windows DVD Maker gone
- Windows Media Center gone
- New User avatar
- New Advanced Security Setting tab (old)
OLD = Present in 80xx build