A new leak of Microsoft’s internal pre-beta builds of Windows 8 shows off the Start Screen.
Microsoft appears to be preparing for a number of customization options within the Windows 8 Start Screen. Winunleaked posted a new image of build 8165, a winmain build compiled earlier this month. The image itself doesn’t show off anything new but Winunleaked claims the software giant has improved the way mouse control works in Windows 8. “Now the gesture is really great with a mouse,” states Canouna, a well known French leaker. He also added details on the MDL forums on how tiles on the Start Screen can be used in summary view:
Microsoft’s pre-beta builds include a new touch gesture that allows users to close Metro style apps with a swipe, see video here. Microsoft is understood to be preparing other additional gestures and controls to make the Start Screen easy to use across mouse, touch and pen. Images of Microsoft’s improved Windows 8 Charms Bar were released on Saturday too. The images show off a translucent Charms Bar. Microsoft has enabled support for automatic updates to Internet Explorer 10. Windows 8 users can enable the feature from the about dialog box in Microsoft’s latest browser.
Microsoft is currently preparing a beta copy of Windows 8, to be made available in January. Little is known about the feature set of Microsoft’s Windows 8 beta. Recently leaked screenshots indicate that Microsoft will allow users to change the Start Screen color and the Start Screen background image in beta copies of Windows 8. Microsoft has previously detailed some other minor improvements to the Windows 8 beta. Users will be able to create, name and rearrange Start Screen groups as well as navigate with the Windows 8 Apps screen in a better way. Microsoft is planning to group applications to make it easier for users to identify them in Windows 8 beta. Windows Media Center will also return to Windows 8 beta alongside the typical Windows games, DVD creator and .NET 3.5.
For more information on Windows 8 check out our dedicated section or the latest news below.
- Windows 8 Storage Spaces feature plays nicely with ReFS
- Windows 8 now includes touch gesture to close Metro style apps
- Windows 8 build 8158 images leak, show off improved Charms Bar
- Windows 8 beta currently on track for January, demo at CES
- Microsoft’s new Windows 8 Resilient File System (ReFS) will be server only
- Microsoft to detail Windows 8 app store features next week
- Microsoft transitioning to a darker color scheme for Windows 8?
- Windows 8 ARM notebooks expected to debut in mid-2013
- Security researcher demonstrates Windows 8 bootkit [video]
- Microsoft reportedly preparing a new Xbox model for 2012, designed for Windows 8
- Microsoft reveals its online upgrade experience for Windows 8
- Windows 8 hits build 8156 as beta approaches
- Windows Updates on Windows 8 will be a lot less intrusive
- Windows 8 pre-beta includes option to change Start Screen background image